CARMEL, Ind. – The Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC) 2020 softball season kept rolling in week four, with many teams seeing action against top-ranked competition.
Around the League:
Athletes of the Week:
Pitcher of the Week:
Kamryn McCool (Brookville, Ind.) Mount St. Joseph University | Pitcher | Sophomore - McCool appeared in five of the Lions six games over the week. Throwing 20.2 innings of six hit shutout ball. She started a pair of games and came in relief in three others, earning three wins and a save. Over the week she did not surrender a single run, while striking out 30 opposing players, and only allowing three walks. Her week was headlined by a no-hitter against Carthage, which she threw a complete game, while striking out 13 opposing batters.
Hitter of the Week:
Brooke Otto (Brookville, Ind.) Mount St. Joseph University | Outfield | Junior - During Mount St. Joseph's spring break trip to The Spring Games, Junior outfielder Otto had an outstanding week. She was 6-for-17 (.353) with four walks (.458 obp). She registered one double, six runs scored, seven RBI, and four stolen bases (without being caught). The Lions were 5-1 on the week.
- Hadley Decker (New Haven, Ind.) Anderson University | Pitcher | Senior - Decker threw seven scoreless innings in a 1-0 win against Monmouth. She struck out four batters, issued two walks and gave up four hits.
- Kerrigan McClain (Pendelton, Ind.) Anderson University | Catcher | Senior - McClain went 2-for-2 with a double in Anderson's 1-0 win against Monmouth.
- Sophie Moller (Pickerington, Ohio) Defiance College | Catcher | Sophomore - In eight games last week during Defiance's annual Spring Break trip to Florida, Moller hit .348 with a double, five walks, three runs scored and six RBI. She also had a stolen base and sacrifice fly and struck out just twice in 23 at-bats. Additionally, Moller posted a .448 on-base percentage for the week.
- Mallory Sands (Gas City, Ind.) Manchester University | Third Base | Sophomore - Sands went 3-6 in Manchester's doubleheader against Huntington on Monday, March 9. Sands doubled and scored a run for the Spartans. Also had a putout and four assists at third base.
- Kameron Bowling (Louisville, Ky.) Transylvania University | Pitcher | Junior - Bowling led Transylvania to a 7-3 victory over Dickinson in the Pioneers' final game on their spring break trip to Arizona. The junior tallied seven strikeouts against just one walk in the complete-game victory. Bowling now leads the HCAC in wins (six), and strikeouts (63).
- Annie Schuck (Selma, Ind.) Transylvania University | Infield | Sophomore - Schuck went 1-for-3 with two RBI and a stolen base in the Pioneers' 7-3 victory over Dickinson in Transylvania's final spring break game in Arizona.